Looking To Buy The Best Hybrid Bikes – Points To Bear In Mind
Bikes are today becoming an important and popular mode of transport because of a number of advantages and benefits. They are cost effective, environment friendly and low on cost of maintenance, apart from being a good tool for keeping body and mind in good shape. There are different types of bikes and in this article we will be looking at the basics of hybrid bikes. This will help us in our efforts to help customers to choose the best hybrid bikes so that customers can make an informed choice.
What Is Hybrid Bike
A hybrid bike is akin to a sports bike. It has multiple uses and can have versatile functions both on and off the road. There are some unique features in terms of design and looks. They come with flat handle bars, which help in maneuvering the bike in almost all directions. They are regularly in mountainous terrains. This is made possible with the help of special 700 cc tires. Additionally the gear range and visibility is much better. There could be many classifications based on their main functions. Though it might not be possible to list down all types of hybrid bikes, the most common ones are urban bikes, cross bikes, commuter bikes and comfort bikes. Let us have a brief look at each one of them.
Urban bikes: They are almost similar to any other road bikes. They are perfectly suited for smooth roads. They have smooth tires and also drop handle bars. They however may not be suitable for carrying heavy loads and for use on rough and uneven roads.
Commuter bikes: They are best suited for commuting from to either school, workplace and for other such daily travelling purposes. They come with 28 mm tires, 700 cc hybrid bike wheels, integrated derailleur and special frames and fenders. They are again suitable only for light loads. Rear and front lighting can be done if one has the need and money.
Cross Bikes: They are often compared to racing bicycles. This is because they have handles which are upright and the tires are semi threaded unlike commuter bikes. They also are suitable for off road use. This is because they come with 700 cc tires which have a much wider diameter when compared to other hybrid bikes.
Comfort bikes: They are also referred to as hybrid mountain bikes. Therefore if you are an enthusiast of uphill and downhill cycling, then these bikes could be the best choice. They are often classified as the best hybrid bikes because of their sturdy built and other special features. They are also more expensive when compared to other hybrid bikes mentioned above.
How To Go About Buying The Best Hybrid Bikes
The market for hybrid bikes is extremely competitive and there are dozens of models available in the market. Therefore choosing quality hybrid bikes is often a challenge and could be confusing for many. However, the task becomes easy if we have some basic tips and other useful information which could help us to separate the grain from the chaff. Here are few important attributes to be kept in mind when it comes to choosing quality hybrid bikes. We hope the information provided will be useful both for experienced as well as new hybrid bike riders.
There are different types of materials which are used to make bicycle frames. There is no doubt that the frame forms the skeleton of any bicycle including the hybrid variant. Previously stainless steel was used as the most common metal for making of frames. Though stainless steel is sturdy, tough and rust and corrosion proof, they had a major problem. Frames made out of stainless steel tended to be heavy and therefore they did not serve the purpose especially during mountain biking and negotiating rough and uneven surfaces. Hence today it is common to see many hybrid bicycle manufacturers using other materials such as fortified aluminum and carbon. Therefore, when choosing a suitable hybrid bike, lot of importance must be given to the material which is used for making the frames. The objective should be to have a combination of efficiency, longevity and performance. There are other modern materials such as chrome alloy steel, high tensile steel and aircraft grade aluminum which could also be considered depending on the purpose for which the hybrid bicycle is being used.
Suspension increases the strength of bicycles. They are important because they bear the load and weight of the bike and also the rider. You should always look at high quality front suspension forks. Yes, they come with a higher cost but when it comes to efficiency, durability, reliability and safety spending a few dollars more on suspension is always a good idea. They should be able to absorb shocks apart from being rust and corrosion resistant.
Gears And Brakes
Brakes are extremely important whether you are riding a commuter hybrid bike or a mountain hybrid bike. It is always better to opt for disc brakes because they are reliable, safe and long lasting. If you are riding a bike with high speeds then choosing the right geared hybrid bike is extremely important. There are number of gears available and you should choose one depending on your specific needs and requirements. The higher the number of gears, the more expensive your bike will be.
A Few Other Important Parts
Apart from the above importance must also be given to seats, mudguards, tires, wheels, spokes, rims and a few other parts. All these go a long way in making the entire journey comfortable, safe and stress free. For example, the width and diameter of wheels and tires play an important role in your choosing the best hybrid bikes. You must give importance to the above and devote time and energy.
The design features, the aerodynamic attributes, riding comfort, antirust and anticorrosion properties, the width and diameters of tires, the automatic gear changing functions, manual gears and the type of brakes that are used have an important role to play when you are choosing the best hybrid bike.
Now that we have a reasonably good idea about the various points to be kept in mind while choosing a hybrid bike, we will have a look at three different models of hybrid bikes. This will give our readers and prospective customers some idea about the various points to be kept in mind while buying the best hybrid bikes. It also will give a birds’ eye view about the various features to expect when looking for a hybrid bike.
Top 3 Hybrid bikes for men reviews
- Schwinn Men’s Wayfarer Hybrid Bike
Coming from the house of Schwinn this is a high quality men’s hybrid bike which has stood the test of time. It also offers excellent value for money to the customers. It is a bike which comes with lifetime warranty and has some of the greatest features that one could think of when buying hybrid bikes.
- It is available in three different and attractive colors, i.e., navy grey and blue.
- It also has seven speed shifters which help in rapid acceleration and also during slow riding.
- Another big takeaway of this bike is the alloy front. This helps increase the longevity of the bike and also makes it resistant to corrosion and rust.
- It also has quality rear bike guard, chain guard and is also equipped fenders. This is suitable for beginners and expensive clothing and footwear can stay safe when riding on wet and slushy surfaces.
- Another great feature about this bike is that it comes in a pre-assembled condition. The user has to only three major parts and they are front wheel, saddle and handle bars.
- It is a bike which is perfectly suited for city rides. Dozens of customers use it for commuting from house to school, workplace and back.
- It is priced extremely competitive and therefore offers excellent value for money to customers.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It has seven speed changing gears which help in accelerating as well as decelerating depending on specific needs and requirements of riders.
- It also has rear brakes.
Though there are not many negatives about this hybrid bike, a few customers have expressed their reservations about the shifting of gears which at times becomes unreliable. Further, assembling the bike takes time and effort and might also require professional help.
The Final Word
At the end of the day there is no doubt that it is a bike which has stood the test of time. It is perfectly suitable for those who are on the lookout for a cost effective hybrid bike for their daily commuting needs. The service standards and spare part availability is also satisfactory.
- Giordano RS700 Lightweight Hybrid Bike
This is a quality hybrid bike which is lightweight. It comes from the house of Giordano and model number is RS700. It has a number of attractive features making it as one of the best hybrid bikes in the market today. There are many features and we will look at a few of them over the next few lines.
- It is equipped with high quality stainless steel spokes and rims.
- It also has a triple crank set and also comes with inseam of 33 inches.
- In spite of being rugged and tough, the bike weighs around 29.5 pounds.
- It comes in two attractive colors, black and red. A combination of the above two colors is also available.
- It has standard 700cc wheels and the frame is made from is made high quality aluminum metal it is totally rust resistant.
- It has 21-speed shifting mechanism.
- It is perfectly suitable for those who are above five feet seven inches.
- It is made from high quality aluminum frame which ensures long life and makes the bike rust and corrosion resistant.
- It is available in two different sizes.
- It also has 21 speed gear shifting mechanism, which helps to move from low speed to high speed easily and vice-versa.
- The changing between gears can be done effortlessly.
- It comes in a semi-knocked down condition. Making the bicycle road-ready does not take much of a time.
- It is extremely light weight and is best suited for city commuting.
- Though assembling of the bike is supposed to be easy, a few customers believe that it is a complicated process at times requiring professional help.
- Some customers also have negative feedback about the quality of after sales services and availability of spare parts.
The Last Word
Though there is no doubt that this is a quality hybrid bicycle, there are some minor issues with regard to the assembly of the bike. As mentioned above, at times, assembling might require professional help. On the whole, it is quality bike which offers reasonably good value for money.
- Diamondback Bicycle 2015 Edgewood Complete Hybrid Bike
If you are on the lookout for one of the best hybrid bikes having state-of-the-art features then you certainly must have a closer look at this 2015 model hybrid bicycle from the house of Diamondback. Scores of uses have spoken highly about this bicycle and there are some good reasons why customers feel so. However, it is expensive bike and will certainly leave a big hole in the pocket. Those who are looking for class will certainly be interested to have closer look at the various features.
- The bicycle is made from best quality hybrid aluminum metal. This helps the bike to be sturdy, strong and resistant to corrosion and rust.
- It is also lightweight and therefore makes it a perfect sports bike.
- It comes with a 63 mm front suspension. This helps a lot in ensuring smooth ride even on rough surfaces.
- It is an all-weather and all-terrain bike.
- It also has a high quality steel arm crank.
- Most of the components come from the house of Shimano.
- It also has reliable dial up speed which ensures quality riding in any place.
- The 7-speed gear shifter helps changing from one gear to the other quite easily and seamlessly.
- The upright position of the handlebars helps to improve the aerodynamic attributes of the bicycle.
- Smoothest gear changing mechanism.
- Quality front suspension helps smooth rides even on rough and uneven surfaces.
- One of the best hybrid bikes for those who are looking for uphill and flat rides.
- Brake levers can be accessed easily
- Given the quality of materials, workmanship, spare parts and design features there is no doubt that it is an expensive hybrid bicycle.
- Maintenance and upkeep is also expensive and could be a drain on the pockets of many customers.
- Servicing and repair work has to be done only in authorized show rooms of the manufacturer.
The Last Word
It is high class bike having some of the best features. However, for many the high price and expensive maintenance could be an inhibitive factor
The above are just few examples of different types of hybrid bicycles. If you are keen on buying the best hybrid bicycles, you must never compromise on quality over price. You also must be prepared to lookup as many models and makes before making the final choice.